The Leader Who Asks - Building a Fearless Culture by Telling Less and Asking More
Author(s): Joanna Yardley (Editor)
When we tell people what to do, they may listen, but they are unlikely to commit to action and are even less likely to remember. When we ask great questions that lead to insight, an emotional component is triggered in the brain that leads to commitment and accountability. Leaders who ask use these strategies, and more, to connect deeply, lead fearlessly and achieve results that transform.
You need this book if you are a leader who recognises one or more of these challenges:
- Having all the answers and needing to be in control feels like hard work.
- Staff engagement is patchy and not everyone is on board.
- Leadership bench-strength is lacking.
- Results are inconsistent and people aren't following through on their commitments.
- Your team is performing well and yet you know more is possible.
Leaders Who Ask leverage coaching capabilities and questioning techniques to create Fearless Cultures.
About the Author:
CORRINNE ARMOUR is a leadership expert who helps leaders and teams develop Fearless Leadership and deliver transformational results. Known for her energy, empathy and results focus, Corrinne is a sought after speaker.
Her previous books include Developing Direct Reports: Taking the Guesswork Out of Leading Leaders and Cracking the Code for Workshop Performance.
"The shift from being a leader who tells, to a leader who asks isn't easy ... but it's the most powerful strategy to take your leadership to the next level. This book shares frameworks, tactics and powerful questions that have the potential to change the way you lead."
- Michael Bungay Stanier, Author of Wall Street Journal bestseller The Coaching Habit
Deep within everyone is unbounded potential and the role of the leader is to draw this out. This is not achieved through instructing or telling; but through suspending judgment, asking questions and listening intently. This book provides a powerful approach for leaders to build culture by assisting one human being at a time to transform their life. This is truly the great honour of leadership.
- Dr David Cooke, Managing Director Konica Minolta Business Solutions Australia
Corrinne has helped me realise the value of embracing a less directive leadership approach. If you want to ask more and tell this, this book sets out how in an engaging way.
- Simone Zelencich, Executive Director, People & Culture The Royal Children's Hospital
Leaders today need the critical balance between business and people acumen. They are expected to have a range of tools to increase business performance as well as develop the critical soft skills needed for setting a culture that focuses on people and stimulates innovation.
I recommend this book to leaders who strive to set a high performing culture by motivating and empowering all within their organisation, thus enhancing leadership, organisational performance and staff retention.
- Matthew Jackson, Chief Executive Officer, Parks Victoria
- : 9780648281214
- : Baker Street Press
- : Baker Street Press
- : July 2018
- : books
- : Joanna Yardley (Editor)
- : Paperback
- : 2019